For this month’s regular open-audience, open-discussion “Ask Us Anything” — continuing discussions about meditation and related topics — Denny and I address present day popular topics of interest related to, and expanding upon, last month’s AUA on Qigong and Daoyin.
First and foremost, as our presentation states, this is not medical advice. We share information and knowledge from our own study, practice and experiences. Please consult a health care professional while considering any new treatments and/or changing your current professional medical care.
Denny starts by sharing statistics on CV and some of the correlations with high blood pressure. We then move into approaching hypertension from various angles, including the power of the mind, but most notably, the importance and interrelationship of high blood pressure with Qi from a place of common sense as well as some of the intricacies. We wrap up by quickly listing my follow up questions to our previous presentation on Qi (since we ran out of time.)
Here are our original notes not in linear order to how our talk unfolded:
- Lots of information and suggestions here. Can always go back and listen again. Don’t take my word for this, use it as a starting point for your own research.
- Western medicine can be divided into two: Allopathic and Naturopathic. It’s said with Allopathy folks often die from the cure while with Naturopathy folks die from the ailment.
- Western medicine is not an enemy. For immediate stuff like broken bones, accidents and heart attacks ER medicine is highly effective. It would be daunting to go up against trillions of dollars in doctors, pills, treatments, biotech and the power to lock down the planet pretty much overnight. Fighting something rarely helps change it. As the fifth verse of the Dhammapadda says, “Hatred is, indeed, never appeased by hatred in this world. It is appeased only by loving-kindness. This is an ancient law.” I won’t advocate nor discourage lawsuits and protests but recommend other options, mostly from an individual level, especially starting off:
- Must do your own research to be prepared if/when interacting with healthcare professionals. Without doing so it is perhaps like walking around telling everybody you can find out all kinds of stuff because you have access to a search engine, but you’d rather talk about this instead of actually using it for research. Research can lead to encouragement, empowerment and self-responsibility too.
- Can then respectfully ask questions and present what you’ve learned to health care professionals and from a place of care and not concern. Care comes from thoughtfulness. Concern is derived from fear. It is possible to care without being concerned. And our attitude determines our attitude. Doctors are unlikely to be receptive if approached with a lack of respect and an agenda to denigrate and invalidate their industry and profession.
- Suggested topics to research for anyone regularly involved with healthcare professionals for self and others:
- HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)
- Informed Consent
- Living Wills and Advanced Directives
- Health Care/Medical Power of Attorney
- Patient Bill of Rights
- Putting a call into whatever medical board oversees the healthcare area one is involved with
- Medical License Lookup
- (Free) Medical Terminology Course(s)
- Other suggestions:
- Western medicine is perhaps seeing the writing on the wall and increasingly adopting the idea of holistic medicine. Even if this is just lip service, if they have it in writing, even if it is vague, and you are informed about true holistic healthcare, you can hold them to it.
- What we focus on we give energy to. So more time and focus on preventive care. And once issues are known, direct more time and energy on positive treatments and solutions without expectations and attachments to particular outcomes.
- Five daily reflections — sickness, old-age, death, separation and self-responsibility — not as a bummer, but to align with the truth of how things are in reality currently. Aligning with truth supports happiness. Also help realize the value and preciousness of every moment.
- Integrating Presence’s long linked list of Healing Modalities and Resources
1. I am of the nature to grow old.
2. I am of the nature to have ill health.
3. I am of the nature to die.
4. All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.
5. My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. Actions are the womb from which I have sprung.
- Misc mentions:
- An advanced microcosmic orbit may be to have the attention following up and down at the same time starting from both the head and the bottom instead of just one point going up and going down again. And even more advanced have this same thing going at the same time but in the opposite direction. Unsure what kind of effect such a reversal could/would have though
- High blood pressure also from some pharmaceuticals and the White Coat Syndrome. Placebo and Nocebo Effects can maybe also play a role.
- There’s also the central nervous system which I guess is more like the headquarters and there’s the peripheral nervous system which I’ve heard can sometimes be involved in sensing (more subtle) energies
Follow up questions we ran out of time for:
- How do the mind, exercises, therapy, substances, cosmic energy and original essences interrelate?
- Are there any (mythological) stories surrounding how various knowledges about Qi were discovered?
- Did any of the spiritual qigong teachings survive in texts, traditions, and/or societies?
- Does experimental vs. experiential have to be a dialectic or dichotomy?
- How exactly did Shifu Ji Ru develop the five breathing exercises?
- Denny address these follow up questions (somewhat) in some newer posts:
- FACT: lots of people died from COVID-19
- As of February, about 498,000 deaths in United States (1.5% of total population, currently 3rd most likely cause of death after heart attacks and cancer)
- FACT: not everyone who tested positive had a severe reaction to COVID
- About 27.8M infected so far (about 8.5% of total population)
- About 1 in 6 becomes seriously ill (i.e., 17% of infected has to be hospitalized)
- Death rate is about 1.8% of total infected or about 10% of the hospitalized
- FACT: those who became seriously ill and even death had a history of high blood pressure and related heart diseases
- Report on data from China and US shows 30 to 50% of patients who had died from COVID have high BP
- another report from Europe shows 76%
- yet another report shows 99% have at least one of these conditions (high BP or heart-related, cancer, diabetes, or lung disease)
- FACT: In the United States, we have reasonably good health systems, but one-third of our population (more than 100 million) have high BP. Most of those with high BP are seniors which are covered under Medicare so they are sufficiently medicated such that their BP is typically under control (but not cured!!!!)
- Commonly known causes for high blood pressure
- High salt intake
- Low ambient temperature
- High stress
- “Flight or Fight”
- Sympathetic autonomic nerve system activated
- Cortisol in blood stream increasing heart rate
- Adrenaline fatigue
- Not sufficient circulation, i.e., lack of blood and oxygen supply to vital organs causing heart rate to increase in order to compensate
- FACT: western medicine often fix symptoms but not disease
- Qi is Blood & Qi 血氣, blood is oxygen, Qi 氣 which is 气 + 米, i.e., air and rice, so what we call Qi is in fact the vitality of our 12 major organs, which are divided into three groupings.
- Above the diaphragm: including our heart and lung which are responsible for supplying blood and oxygen through the entire body
- Between the diaphragm and our belly button: including stomach+spleen and liver+gallbladder, which are responsible for digestion, nutrients extraction and storage, and detoxification of our blood stream
- Below the belly button: including our small and large intestines and kidney+bladder, responsible for digestion (fermentation), waste management and hormonal activation
- High blood pressure is not a sickness but a warning signal of deeper physical and mental problems (blockage of Qi means one or two of our vital organs are crying for help)
- Treating high BP by eliminating only the symptoms is akin to manslaughter by dereliction of duty
- In the United States, our “Health Care” system is in fact “Sick Care”.
- More on Qi and the practice of Qi (addressing the addendum)
- The 12 meridians corresponding to the 12 vital organs
- 6 originating in the fingers and 6 in the toes
- Out of each set of 6, 3 are yin (receptive or the moon) and 3 are yang (active or the sun)
- Two of the eight extraordinary meridians
- The Conception vessel which is related to the 6 yin organs (pre natal)
- The Governing vessel which is related to the 6 yang organs (post natal)
- Science behind microcosmic orbit and abdominal breathing
- Science between “patting” of meridians
- The 12 meridians corresponding to the 12 vital organs
3/2/21 UPDATE: Denny published the following related article on his Patreon, reposted here by permission:
America is the wealthiest country in the world. Our health care system might not be the best but it is still considered world class, an envy for much of the rest of the world.
This is true especially if you are over 65 and covered by Medicare or if you work full-time for a major corporation and covered by their health insurance plan.
Furthermore, for the last six years with ObamaCare, even those who are self-employed or under-employed, or even living below the poverty line, could have some kind of basic health care protection.
But yet one-third of our citizens, over 100 million of them, whether they are wealthy or poor, have high-blood pressure.
High BP is easy to diagnose and easy to care for with prescription medicines which are almost always free or highly subsidized.
But high blood pressure is not a sickness and cannot be cured by just treating the symptoms. It is in fact a warning for some much deeper underlying physical and mental health issues.
A few days ago, the United States have just passed an important milestone. Half of a million of our fellow Americans have died from Covid-19.
Not all who were infected had severe enough reaction that they had to be hospitalized, only one out of six.
And not all who were hospitalized had to die, only one out of ten.
But among those who died, more than half of them had high blood pressure.
Covid-19 is an indictment on our health care system and the pharmaceutical industrial complex.
Number one: our health care system is sickness care. No one cares about your health, they care only about subscribing drugs to cure the sickness.
Number Two: high blood pressure is not a sickness. But it is treated like one. High blood pressure prescription drugs deal only with the symptoms. No one bother to treat the cause.
Covid-19 is the great equalizer.
If you have high blood pressure and you are infected with Covid, you will die.
You die because someone have committed manslaughter by their dereliction of duty.
Those who are in charged of your care have eliminated the symptoms of your high blood pressure, purposely silencing your only material witness and your cry for help.
In this recent video, Josh and I talked about the two primary causes for high blood pressure: high stress and bad circulation, and how you could take charge of your own health and the health of your aging parents by exercising, deep breathing and by reversing adrenal disorders.
We did our part, time for you to do yours.
Join Denny live Saturdays online for mindful joint, stretching, breathing and qigong exercises 8:00am and 6:00pm PST via:
Full list of links at DennyKMiu.com